Sunday, February 04, 2007

philosophy of bias

I submit that when anyone sets a pen to paper, they are motivated. How much can this motivation interfere with the conveyance of truth? This is a micro-study of bias.

The type of bias I hear most about is what I call "identity" bias. It is a bias that originates from a set of characteristics that a communicator connects themselves to, and so it is defended as the self would be. It manifests itself in lots of ways, subtly as speech inflection and boldly as neglecting to present negative facts. It aims to protect one's identity, not to illuminate truth. It is the usual type of bias I here people refer to.

A type of bias I hear less about is what I call "sensationalistic" bias is probably of the same type. It is a bias that originates from a desire to establish a memorable legacy. It aims to differentiate and glorify an identity, not to convey truth.

Can you think of other types of bias?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home