Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Writers Guild East AND West: STRIKE!

I just watched Newsies for the first time a couple days ago, which seems to be all about organized labor. So now I'm all worked up about the WGAw/e strike.
On November 2, 2007, both branches of the guild, East and west, called the second writers' strike in as many decades, this time over writers' share of revenues from DVD releases and from Internet, cell-phone network and other new-media uses of programs and films written by members. The strike vote followed the expiration of the guild's then-current contract with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. link

"The guild was demanding doubled DVD residuals..." Who strikes to demand residuals on a dying format? That doesn't even make sense; which leads me to believe that this news article was written by a low-class scab. Or, wait; maybe news writers have nothing to do with these screen-writing guilds.

I bet the written negotiations are a good read: gritty.

I consider myself to be an entertainment writer/performer, which makes it more interesting to me. Where do I sign-up to be a scab?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the big point of contention is revenue sharing from internet content. They're looking to get their piece of the new frontier now and the the networks/studios are resisting because they claim it's too uncharted and they are not yet pulling in any profits from their online activities.

2:17 PM  
Blogger gumball said...

Yep. That's correct. They want an increase in their share in DVD-profits and also online downloaded videos.

Apparently they haven't tried to touch revenues from streaming video. Maybe there isn't much.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

As I understand it... that's actually a big part of want they want, revenue from all internet content, including streaming video.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home